Twitter LinkedIn Facebook Comment

Call us today on 0844 870 7903


Where is my property advertised?

If you have purchased a Tenant Find and /or Full Management Service your property will be advertised on our own Polar Property Services Web Site.

If you have uploaded a Free Listing your property will be advertised on our own Polar Property Services website for one month.

How long is my property advertised for?

Your property will be advertised until let if you have purchased a Tenant Find and/or Full Management Service.

Your property will be advertised for one month if you have uploaded a Free Listing.

Can I change my advert later?

Yes, once you have registered a property/room with us you will have your own account where you will be able to log in, at any time, to change your details.

Can I cancel my order?

Yes, we have a money back guarantee subject to our Terms and Conditions

Do I need a 'To Let' board?

We have found that a 'To Let' board helps significantly with local advertising and not everyone has Internet access to find your property on line.  Many prospective tenants want to live in the area they grew up in and where family and friends already live.  The 'To Let' board informs people in and around the area that your property is available to rent and also who they should contact to arrange a viewing.

Do I need Photographs?

We have found that quality photographs greatly assist the applicant to visualise the size and layout of the property. Good photographs can promote a property better than a description and encourage tenants to make appointments to view. In our experience we believe that a lack of photos tends to put prospective tenants off because they assume there must be something wrong with the property. We can arrange for good quality photos to be taken if you do not possess any of your own.

Can I use my own photographs?

Yes, subject to our approval.  Please see Terms and Conditions

Do I need a Floorplan?

A Floor Plan helps applicants to further visualise the size and layout of the property and increases tenant enquiries.

Do I need an Electrical Certificate, Safety Check or PAT testing?

It is compulsory to ensure that the electrical system and all appliances supplied are safe prior to letting your property and during the tenancy. Failure to comply with the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 and The Consumer Protection Act 1987 is a criminal offence. If you have a HMO then the law is applied differently. We offer all electrical testing via our Landlord Services.

Why do I need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?

You are required by law to obtain an Energy Performance Certificate before marketing your property and must make this available to your prospective tenants on request; therefore you will need to have an EPC in place before you begin to advertise your property.

The British Government has committed to reducing carbon emissions by 40% and to improve the insulation of all buildings.  The energy performance certificate informs the Tenant of the heating and insulation efficiency of the building.

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) will last for 10 years on a rental property. We can arrange an EPC if you don't already have one.

Why do I need a Gas Safety Certificate?

It is a legal requirement to have a gas certificate in place before your Tenant moves into your property and this will need to be renewed annually. This is to ensure all gas appliances and fitted gas lines are safe. Failure to have a gas safety certificate in place may lead to court action being taken against the Landlord and their Agent. We can arrange for a qualified Gas Engineer to carry out a Gas Safety check if you don't already have one.

Do I need to fit a Smoke Alarm?

In the event of a fire the smoke alone may kill the occupants of a property therefore there should be sufficient, properly designed and appropriately sited smoke alarms, heat detectors or both. Request the services of your local Fire Brigade if you are in any doubt as to what is adequate to protect your tenants and your property. 

We can arrange for a Fire Safety Risk Assessment and advise you on the most strategic places fire alarms should be sited. For a small cost you can protect your rented property and give your tenant peace of mind.

Why do you carry out Credit and Referencing checks on potential Tenants?

We always carry out full credit and referencing checks on all applicants and Guarantors. The credit check process will research each applicants current financial and employment status to confirm that they can afford to rent your property. Furthermore checks will be carried out on their financial history. If the applicant has had credit problems in the past then they may do so in the future which may lead to them not paying your rent. The checks also confirm the applicant(s) identity and can highlight, from previous Landlords, whether they have left property damaged or with rent arrears in the past. The Credit and Referencing checks are free to the Landlord.

Why does my Tenant need a Guarantor?

If the applicant(s) has not passed a credit check due to either low income or a poor credit history then a Guarantor will need to be in place to guarantee to cover any losses the Landlord may incur should the Tenant not pay their rent or meet their other commitments.

We always insist that any Guarantor we take is a homeowner and in full time employment.

You can download our handy Rent Affordability Chart, which gives a guide as to whether or not your tenant and/or Guarantor will pass a credit check on financial grounds.

What is a 'Deed of Guarantor'?

This is a legally binding contract that the Guarantor signs to indemnify all losses that the Landlord may incur during the period of the tenancy and up to the point the Landlord receives their property back. This can be signed in conjunction with the Tenancy Agreement and provides extra security for the Landlord.  We offer a comprehensive Deed of Guarantor Form via our Landlord Services

What is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement?

An Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement (AST) is governed by the statutory code set within the Housing Act of 1988. The Act was amended by the Housing Act of 1996. If you are renting out your property you should use one of these agreements. Download your free AST

Can I let a room in my house?

Yes, under current rules you can earn £4,250 tax-free.

If you live in the property and you let one room the person renting the room is known as a lodger.  Download your free Lodger Agreement

Why do I need an Inventory?

We strongly recommend that you complete an Inventory on the day your Tenant moves in to avoid disputes. We find it is common at the end of the tenancy for some degree of dispute to take place between the Landlord or their agent and the out-going tenant especially if an Inventory has not been prepared. A thorough Inventory can alleviate many of the common areas of disagreement.  We offer a comprehensive Inventory Form via our Landlord Services

Should I Let my property Furnished or Unfurnished?

In our experience you will not raise significantly more rent if you leave furniture in your property.  Most Tenants have their own furniture and do not want someone else's and it can actually work out more expensive.  If, for example, you leave in white goods as part of the tenancy agreement and the fridge/freezer  or washing machine breaks down, then it would be your responsibility to replace it.

Do I need to take a Deposit?

We recommend taking a Deposit equivalent to a months rent. This can help cover any rent arrears or damage to the property, should there be any, at the end of the tenancy.

Why must I register the Deposit?

It is now a legal requirement for Landlords to place tenants' deposits in an approved Deposit Protection Scheme. Failure to do so can result in a Court ordering a Landlord to pay the tenant three times the amount of the deposit.

The deposit must be registered with your chosen scheme within 14 days of receipt. Once registered you must inform the Tenant where the deposit has been placed.  If you choose to register the Deposit with the Deposit Protection Service (DPS) you can download their Prescribed Information Relating to the Tenancy Deposit and the DPS Terms & Conditions which you must give to the Tenant.

In some cases you will be unable to take back possession of your property if you do not register the Deposit.

Who is responsible for paying the Utility Companies and the Council Tax?

From the date the tenancy begins it becomes the responsibility of the Tenant. 

The Landlord or Agent must inform the Utility companies and Local Authority that a tenancy has commenced and include Tenant details, date occupancy began and meter readings where applicable.  This also applies at the end of the tenancy.

What should I do on the day my Tenant moves in?

We recommend taking these actions in the order they appear below:

1.       Complete an indepth Inventory and have your Tenant sign and date each page to confirm they agree (ensure the Tenant is given a copy).

2.      Take cleared funds for the first months rent and deposit (issue a receipt).

3.       Ask the Tenant to complete the Bankers Standing Order (you keep this and forward to Tenants bank)

4.      Take all meter readings and supply your tenant with contact details of all Utility providers and Council Tax details.

5.       Explain any appliances and offer manual instruction booklets if available.

6.      Landlord and Tenant(s) to sign 2 x Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreements (AST) (one copy for the Landlord and one copy for the Tenant(s). 

7.       Supply a set of keys for each person named on the AST and as listed on the Inventory.

8.      Don’t forget, you must register the Deposit within 14 days of receipt and you must informed the Tenant of where the Deposit has been registered.


How should I collect Rental Payments?

We recommend that you ask your Tenant to complete a Standing Order for future rental payments to be paid direct to your chosen bank account.  You should have the Standing Order dated 4 days before the rent is due to allow for the bank transfer.

This will enable you to keep track of payments and take action if a payment doesn’t arrive on the due date.

What should I do on the day my Tenant moves out?

Advise the Tenant to meet you at the property to hand back the keys and to enable you to carry out an exit Inventory. This should include taking readings of the utility meters.

What if I want my Tenant to leave?

If your Tenant has followed the terms of the tenancy agreement and you wish to take back possession of your property you can ask your Tenants to leave at the end of the agreed fixed period within the Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement (or any time thereafter). You will need to give your Tenants two months notice via a Section 21 Notice to leave.

If the Tenant has damaged your property, been constantly late with their rental payment or there are 8 weeks or more arrears than you may use a Section 8 notice to request your property back.

When you serve either Notice you must ensure the form(s) has been completed correctly and served in compliance with the Housing Act of 1988. Failure to serve the Notice correctly may lead to your request for your property back being denied.  See Section 8 & Section 21 Notice

All information is offered without guarantee as to its accuracy and applicability in all circumstances. Please consult a Solicitor, Accountant or other professional to discuss your individual circumstances.